This time last year saw the completion and Launch of the Calabar International Convention Center. The sculptural landmark is now operational and has played host to a number of events since its opening.
As you may already the know the building was designed by the renowned Danish firm Henning Larsen Architects, and cost the Cross River State Government about $90 000 0000, (roughly N 18 billion) to erect.
It covers a total of 35, 000sqm and can cater to about 5000 persons per time. It boasts a number of facilities, such as;
- 5 conference halls, one of which seats about 1800 delegates
- 12 meeting rooms (55-90 delegates) and 1 VIP room
- 3 Banqueting halls serving 900 , 650 and 500 dinner guests respectively.
- The Largest kitchen in Nigeria at 1,200 sqm, as well as 4 distribution kitchens.
- 8000 sqm of pre-allocated exhibition space.
- A 40 seater coffee shop, and
- Secure parking for 700 vehicles
A 300 room convention center hotel is currently under way to cater to long staying delegates.
Here’s a look at the completed facility as built by French construction company, Bouygues Construction. If you’d like to see renderings and construction images, you can also take a look at our previous feature on the convention center.