The LafargeHolcim Awards seeks leading projects of professionals as well as bold ideas from the Next Generation that combine sustainable construction solutions with architectural excellence.
The 6th cycle of the international competition is open for entries until February 25, 2020. The Awards offer a total of USD 2 million in prize money and foreground projects and concepts from architecture, engineering, urban planning, materials and construction technology, and related fields.
LafargeHolcim Awards main category
- For exemplary sustainable construction projects at an advanced stage of design from architecture, engineering, urban planning, materials and construction technology, and related fields.
- No age restriction for project authors.
- Project must not have started construction/fabrication before January 1, 2019.
LafargeHolcim Awards Next Generation category
- For visionary design concepts and bold ideas including design studio and research work.
- Authors can be no older than 30 years of age (date of birth later than June 4, 1988).
- Students and young professionals are welcome to enter the Awards main category with projects that have reached an advanced stage of design.
How to participate
Submitting entries in the competition is free and must be made in English using a web-based form to provide information on authorship, a project summary, statements on sustainability, CO2 lifecycle assessment (for main category) and other technical details, as well as project images and/or illustrations.
A “Step-by-step” guide explains the process in detail and shows how to prepare an entry at www.lafargeholcim-awards.org. There is no limit to the number of projects an individual or team may enter.
Registration deadline is February 25, 2020 (14:00 hrs UTC/GMT).
Independent expert juries in five geographic regions of the world (Europe, North America, Latin America, Middle East Africa, and Asia Pacific) evaluate submissions using the comprehensive “target issues” for sustainable construction of the LafargeHolcim Foundation which covers progress, people, planet, prosperity and place . The juries will be hosted by an internationally renowned technical university to evaluate submissions in June/July 2020. The criteria covers innovation and transferability; ethical standards and social inclusion; resource and environmental performance; economic viability and compatibility; and contextual and aesthetic impact.
The competition promotes circular thinking and the reduction of CO2 emissions across all disciplines. It identifies the ideas with the highest potential to tackle today’s challenges to increasing urbanization and to improve quality of life.
- USD 2 million total prize money: USD 330,000 per region including USD 70 000 for Next Generation prizes.
- Winners announced at hand-over events in September/ November 2020.
- Global LafargeHolcim Awards in 2021 of USD 350,000 selected from winning projects of the regional competitions 2020.
Since 2003, the LafargeHolcim Foundation advances the discourse on sustainable construction mainly through its Awards, the world’s most significant competition for sustainable design. The Foundation is an initiative of LafargeHolcim, the global leader in building materials and solutions.
To register and participate, click here.